Saturday, June 18, 2011

WWJD?


Let’s just humour the idea that Jesus was born to a virgin and sent to earth by the almighty himself, being the almighty himself. To teach his people and educate them on the true path to God, to show them love and compassion, then ultimately be murdered by them for them. Wow. That’s some messed up shit. That’s some messed up shit written down by men hundreds of years after the fact, at a dark time in our human history. I am sorry but I don’t subscribe to fairy tales that are older than dirt itself.

I would guess the historical Jesus was a sort of Ghandi type figure who wandered around and spoke what he thought and what he thought was that the most basic human emotion of love could guide us to harmony. Big ideas for a man who was alive 2000 years ago, if he was indeed alive. You see, I was raised Catholic and I know first hand what it means to be in an exclusive God Club with weirdos who think costumes and dead tongues are relevant. And although I have since left the church and Jesus, I do acknowledge a greater power.
I disagree with any religion that persecutes others beliefs as wrong or sac religious, as any one pursuing the ultimate love of God should. Oh yeah, and I can’t stand God-for-Profit organizations. You ask what would Jesus do? He was against monetary gain and violence in your good book, but I challenge anyone to show me a Christian, Catholic or Jesuit church, school or organization that isn’t corrupt with theft or sex scandals. That is NOT what Jesus would do, not even the historical one.

I think the more important question for a sweeping generalization of religion should be What DID Jesus Do? or better yet, What DIDDN‘T Jesus Do? Anyone could apply these metaphors, Muslims, Jews Christians whatever. Love your neighbour like all the books say because the sense of entitlement that comes with religion is poisonous if taken literal. Maybe then we can be enlightened enough to see that all religion is unnecessary and stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment